Wednesday, February 29, 2012

"Where Are They Now?" Wednesdays: The Spice Girls

I remember when the Spice Girls burst on to the scene. It was probably some time around 1996 or 1997. From the moment I first heard the lyrics to their most popular hit," Wannabe", I was hooked. I'm not ashamed to admit I still know all the words. Sing along with me: Yoooo I'll tell ya what I want what I really want: 

Shortly after its release, this song took over the charts. It's safe to say that the Spice Girls became a second wave of the British Invasion. Not only that, but they became the face of the "girl power" attitude of the 90s, a term often linked with third-wave feminism.

I remember getting not one, but two, Spice Girls barbie dolls at my sixth birthday party held at Skateland. I received Baby Spice and Sporty Spice. Much like Disney Princesses, everyone had their favorite Spice Girl. I think it's safe to say that Baby Spice was the favorite of most girls, but I always liked Sporty Spice. I was hardly athletic, unless you count Ballet and the occasional outdoor kickball game, but I liked her attitude. Plus she was brunette. I guess I'm just always drawn to Brunettes and/or was forced to play as them at Recess? (See all commentary on Belle). Posh was just too prissy for me.

I think one of the best legacies left by the Spice Girls is their movie. Who can forget the classic film that is Spice World? It has everything: an alien invasion, great songs, and Alan Cumming. Who could ask for anything more?

But enough reminiscing, let's find out what the girls are up to today!

Photo Credit: FanPop.com
Emma Bunton (AKA Baby Spice): After the group split up, Emma released a few of her own solo albums.  While these have been relatively unknown in the US, they did have some success across the pond in the UK. She's also done a bit of acting on the BBC equivalent of Dancing with the Stars. It seems Baby Spice is now Mommy Spice since she gave birth to her first son back in 1997.

Mel B (AKA Scary Spice): Mel B used her acting chops from the film to make her way to the stage. In 2002, she starred in a London production of the empowering show, The Vagina Monologues Emma wasn't the only one to give ballroom dancing a try. Mel recently appeared on Dancing with the Stars here in the states, and did fairly well. She also gave the broadway stage a try when she briefly played the role of Mimi in Rent for a few months back in 2004.  Mel is also the mother of two daughters.

Gerri Haliwell (AKA Ginger Spice): In 1998, Geri left the group in order to pursue her own solo career. That didn't work out too well. She did however have success with a line of Yoga videos and an autobiography. She now serves as a UN Goodwill Ambassador. She also became a mother in 2006.

Melanie Chisholm (AKA Sporty Spice): Unsurprisingly, Melanie also attempted to make a solo name for herself when the group split up. She achieved moderate success in the UK. She has dedicated most of her focus to music and touring and has not (yet) made the leap back into acting. She is the only one of the group who doesn't have a child. You can find out more on her snazzy personal website.

Victoria Beckham (AKA Posh Spice): Last, and most certainly not least is Victoria. Victoria has maintained high profile life in the limelight after marrying soccer (or football) star David Beckham. (Just look at that body)  They quickly married and had kids, so Victoria didn't branch out into her own solo career, yet she has found the most success. Like Geri, she published an autobiography. Actually, make that two. She also has her own fashion line.

If all this nostalgia has made you miss these girls, fear not, they're reuniting! It's been announced that they will be performing in London for the Queen's Jubilee. Can someone get me a ticket to london please?!

No comments:

Post a Comment