Monday, March 5, 2012

Memory Mondays: Future Terrapin

Little Courtney Waiting To Grow Into Her Terrapin Shell
While preparing to write this blog, I spent a Sunday evening at home going through my Mom's old photo books from my childhood. I couldn't help but smile when I came across this one.

This photo was taken at the Baltimore Zoo some time around 1994/1995. Clearly, back then, I had no intentions of going to UMD. I was far too busy playing Barbies and watching movies to even know what my future would hold.

For those of you who don't know, UMD's mascot is a Diamondback Terrapin named Testudo. He's pretty awesome.  He's much cooler than a Blue Hen or an Orange Blob!

Here at UMD we take Testudo very seriously. You can find him at almost any event: anything from Basketball games to prestigious alumni functions. We even leave him offerings every time midterms and finals role around.

Offering to Testudo
Human Sacrifice Edition


I'd love to go back to the Zoo and take another picture in the turtle shells. I think they're still there? Well, if I fit in them, of course. Perhaps, I can even go in my cap and gown in two years. That would make a cute graduation announcement. Until then I'll just settle for some pictures with Testudo. Although no one knew what my future would hold when that picture was taken, I am glad it ended foreshadowing it just a bit.

1 comment:

  1. A human sacrifice should be enough to merit not only an A but multiple invitations to honor societies and maybe even a random scholarship.

    ReplyDelete