Friday, March 16, 2012

Flashback Fridays: "Science-y Things"

Ms. Frizzle & Bill Nye Leave No Child Left Behind.
Photo Credit: GraphJam.com
When it comes to things involving Math & Science, I am always the first to admit that I haven't got a clue. I'm fine with words, literature, art, and facts, but once you throw numbers in there, you've lost me.

Case in point, I somehow managed to find a loop hole at my college that has allowed me to take JOUR175: Media Literacy as a Math Science course. It didn't involve equations or number voodoo magic, just analyzing articles and thinking critically.

However, if those actual math science courses had been taught by the great science teachers of the 90s, I would have been far more willing to take the classes. I am, of course, referring to Bill Nye the Science Guy and everyone's favorite elementary school teacher, Ms. Frizzle.

I can recall many mornings spent watching those shows before heading off to my real school. I think it's safe to say (as that handy graph points out) that I learned much more from those shows than I did sitting in an overcrowded classroom. Who says television rots our brains? I definitely learned some valuable life lessons from both shows.

The best day in any classroom was when you arrived to class and saw that big TV set on the cart. You know this one:
It usually meant one thing: Bill Nye videos. That show had everything: dinosaurs, terrible child actors, experiments to try at home, experiments you're not allowed to try at home, and that awesome theme song! (Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Bill Nye the Science Guy!) Because of that song, I will never forget that "inertia is a property of matter." I'm not even exactly sure what that means, but I know it, That has to count for something, right? Perhaps it will come in handy if I am on Jeopardy one day.

Bill Nye is actually still teaching science. It seems some people need to go back and watch his videos again. Watch as Bill attempts to explain Global Warming and the moon to a Fox News anchor: 


Perhaps Bill Nye could have used some help from the other best science teacher of the 90s, Ms. Frizzle. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wished my class field trips were as cool as hers. My class only went to the body exhibit at the science center. Ms. Frizzle's class got to actually go inside a body. Talk about hands on learning. 

Ms. Frizzle taught more than just those "science-y things." She also taught some valuable life lessons. I absolutely love her catch phrase: Take Chances! Make Mistakes! Get Messy! 

Wise words my friends. So even if you're like me and not inclined towards the math science or somehow gifted in those skills, you can still take those words to heart. In whatever field you pursue, don't be afraid to take chances, make mistakes, and get messy. Oh, and never forget: FoxNews doesn't know what they're talking about. Those four things will get you far in life.  


No comments:

Post a Comment