Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Where Are They Now?" Wednesdays: The Cast of the Nanny

Photo Credit: ShareTV.org
Hello my fellow nostalgia seeking friends! This week I've decided to take a look at the cast of one of my favorite TV shows, The Nanny. No judging! This is a judgement free zone! I'll admit that when my Mom watched it regularly back in the 90s, I wasn't a fan. I couldn't stand Fran's nasally voice, and her viewing time totally cut into my Barney watching time. Not ok. Only child problems. 

However, when Nick at Nite began re-airing episodes a few years ago, I became completely addicted. I began to actually appreciate the witty humor of the show. It's a perfect sitcom; it doesn't take itself too seriously, and the whole ensemble shines. Except maybe that Brighton kid; he actually annoyed me more than Fran's voice.

I actually loved it so much that my Dad scored me the complete series on DVD from some company in China. Yeah, that sounds completely legal, right? Well, the US only offers seasons one through three on DVD, so it's their own fault for not making the following three available!
My Box Set of All Six Seasons
The Nanny aired on TV from 1993-1999, so what has the cast been up to over the last thirteen years?(Side Note: Can anyone else not get over the fact that 1999 was thirteen years ago? I still think the 90s were only 10 years ago. Woah, reality check.) Anyways, a lot of the cast members have been surprisingly busy since then! Kudos to them for keeping active long after the series ended. 

Fran Drescher: The Nanny's central character has managed to still stay in the limelight for a bit. Not only has she remained active, she also beat cancer! She currently stars in a show on TVLand titled Happily Divorced. It's based on Fran's real life experience in which she married a man and later found out he was gay. Oops. However, two have remained amicable and are still close friends. He actually directs some episodes of Happily Divorced. Nanny fans will be happy to hear that there will be a brief Nanny reunion on this new show! 

Nanny Cast. Photo Credit: FanPop.com
Charles Shaughnessy: Mr. Shaughnessy stared as the dashing and charming Mr. Sheffield, Fran's main love interest and employer. Ooooh Scandalous. Since The Nanny ended, Charles has remained on Television, guest starring on shows such as Mad Men, Days of our Lives, Hannah Montana, and CSI: NY. I also recall catching him on an episode of Jeopardy! during the "celebrity" championship. He sadly lost to to Michael McKean.  Much like Fran and her actual ex-husband, the two have remained close, and he's made cameos on her other TV shows. He regularly updates his YouTube channel with vlogs. 

Daniel Davis: Everyone's favorite british butler, Niles, certainly gave that other snarky british butler on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air a run for his money. Niles' quick one liners were often the comedic heart of the role. Mr. Davis hasn't done much on television since The Nanny; he's instead re-entered the realm of professional theatre. He starred as the the title character in King Lear in a recent production by The Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey. 

Lauren Lane: Niles' foil, the over dramatic and egotistical C.C. Babcock has kept a low profile since the end of the show. She's currently a professor in the Texas State University Theatre Department. During the latter half of The Nanny's run, she gave birth to her daughter, so she's made being mom her main focus since then.

So there you have it! Aren't flashbacks fun? I'd like to end this post with an invitation to you!

Does anyone have any "Where are the now?" requests? Feel free to leave some ideas in the comments.

Until then, I leave you with The Nanny's extremely catching and easily stuck in your head theme song:

2 comments:

  1. I still can't stand Fran's nasally voice?

    Would you consider a "where is SClub7 now?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha not everyone can! Sometimes I wonder how much of it was actually her real voice and how much was played up for television.

      I have a very vague recollection of that group, but I would be more than happy to look into it! "Ain't no party like and S club party" right?

      Delete